Friday, August 20, 2010

How can I connect to Xbox Live?

I need to connect my Xbox 360 to Xbox Live, but I need some help in figuring out how to do this.





We currently have in our office - a gateway (I think or it could be just a modem, Xbox.com confused me about which is which) that is hooked to the cable and the phone jack (as we get our phone via cable) and has an ethernet connection to both our wireless router and the desktop computer. If it makes any difference, it's Mediacom cable with whatever the standard gateway/router whatever, and a Netgear 802.11G router for wireless.





The problem is that where we have the Xbox is on the TV in the family room, which is on the same level but I don't want to run an ethernet cable from one room to another, although obviously there is also a standard coaxial cable input in the family room for the TV, and I could easily put in a splitter or something. My big question which Xbox.com doesn't answer - is there any way to connect the Xbox 360 to the cable input directly (although obviously there'd be an adaptor or something) without running something wired back to the gateway/modem in the office? I'm guessing no, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.





Otherwise, it seems like my choice seems to be:


Option 1) Simple and easy - buying a wireless adaptor for the Xbox (like this one - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7457432%26amp;type=product%26amp;id=1126591945477 for about $100). For people who've used it, how does the Xbox run on wireless? Our network seems to be pretty good - at least for with my laptop, I seem to do pretty well being able to run streaming video from netflix upstairs without too much trouble (occasional freezes) - but I'm not sure if he really wants to play Halo 3 online at some point if that would work. Will it dramatically slow the wireless network for my laptop if he's using the Xbox at the same time? (This happens fairly often)





or





Option 2) Slightly more complicated - Buy a cable splitter, then move the modem/gateway and the wireless router to the family room, plugging the Xbox into the wired ethernet port, and then getting a wireless connection for the desktop. I don't feel comfortable installing a card into the desktop, but it looks like I can get a usb based adaptor for $35-50 bucks (also from best buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0503007%26amp;type=category - Anyone have experience with them or advice over which to get?). That puts a lot of stuff feeding off that one cable output - the Faux Tivo and TV, as well as the Xbox, the phone, and the wireless -, but I don't think that should be a problem as it's all just wired to the same connection box when it comes into the house anyway (right?). Besides being cheaper (probably less than $50 all together to do that), as we rarely use the desktop and the laptop at the same time, it wouldn't run into the two wireless devices at the same time problem, which I think slows the system (although that could be entirely wrong). Is there anything about having all that (including the phone) on the same jack that I should worry about? Does the modem or the wireless router need to directly wired to a computer to control them? I seem to remember doing some stuff with the desktop to set them up, but I know they both work if the desktop is off currently.


How can I connect to Xbox Live?
Pay them money.


That will get you connected.How can I connect to Xbox Live?
i went to wal mart and asked an employe there about the same thing and he said. that i could get a cable modem. and get a spliter for the cable so could still watch tv. and connect the other one to the cable modem. for xbox live. no computer necessary. just the cable modem
Option 3) Use a wireless laptop and Internet sharing





OR





Option 4) Use a Wireless ethernet Bridge.15 - 30 $





And NO there is nothing that connects ethernet to cable like the modem
well to sum everything u just said up to a easy simple choice for u to make sense ur the one that's going to play it is





1.wireless is easier to deal with but u run the risk for having a bad connection,(lag), even if another player has bad connection ur xbox will suffer as well.





2. cable, more of a pain to deal with, never have lag in ur connection fast updates and downloads.





for ur gaming experience i would go with the cable.
i would do wireless.. i would get a better router if thats the problem or the connection by your modem.... Try Finding a Gaming Router(better download speeds,connections,(etc.) or find a A router similar to b+g but a/b/g will work perfect also... i would not do option number 2 .... might be lacking connection

No comments:

Post a Comment