Friday, August 20, 2010

Why does my mom's new laptop cause my other laptop's internet and xbox live not to work?

Okay, my mom just came home with a gateway laptop with windows 7.It has wired connection to my modem, a belkin54g, as well as my xbox does. My laptop, however, is a wireless connection. Now, my internet on my laptop fails to load web pages properly (Website found, waiting for reply) and my xbox live does not connect. Under xbox live connection details, its reason for not connecting is no connection from Internet-%26gt;Xbox Live. Does anyone know what exactly is happening, and how to solve this issue?Why does my mom's new laptop cause my other laptop's internet and xbox live not to work?
You need to access your router's settings. Generally the ip address of a Belkin router is 192.86.2.1 (yours could be different, check your manual) in any case you only have a certain number of ip addresses available. You need to change your router settings to allow for an extra ip address, otherwise your mom's computer will always kick the xbox offline.Why does my mom's new laptop cause my other laptop's internet and xbox live not to work?
You said her new laptop has a wired connection to your modem...and that's the problem. You cant plug more than one device into a modem. So either plug your router into the modem, or plug her laptop into the modem, not both. In your case, you want to plug your router into the modem, and her laptop into the router, just like your laptop and 360 do.
Do the other computers work again if you unplug your mom's computer from the belkin router? I question the putative causation.
Why would she connect wired? Why not wireless also?
Did you add the MAC address of the laptop to the router?

No comments:

Post a Comment